Leaves From The Vine
Part 1 1.
- Who were the character’s parents?
- Did they raise the character?
- Did the character have any childhood friends?
- Any siblings?
- Where are they now?
- Does the character stay in touch with them or have they become separated?
- What was childhood like for the character?
- Calm and peaceful or turbulent and traumatic?
- Does the character have any or did the character have any role models?
- Describe them.
- What did the character do before he / she entered the story?
- Who trained the character to do what she / he does now?
- What are the character’s moral and religious beliefs?
- What lengths will the character go to defend those beliefs?
- Who or what taught those beliefs to the character?
- Does the character have any unusual habits or physical traits?
- How do others tend to react to them?
- What is the general reaction to the character from others?
- Why, in the character’s opinion, do they act that way?
- Can the character kill another rational creature?
- Why would the character kill?
- Does he / she have any enemies at all?
- Would or could the character kill them?
- What kind of relationships does the character currently have?
- Does he / she have any close friends?
- Bitter enemies?
- What is the character’s favorite color?
- Do they generally wear this color?
- Favorite food?
- Mode of music?
- How does the character generally treat others?
- Does she / he trust easily?
- What does the character look like?
- Does he / she have any scars or tattoos?
- How did she / he get them?
- What is the character’s normal daily routine?
- How does he / she feel when it’s interrupted for whatever reason?
- What are the character’s dreams?
- How does she / he seek to obtain them?
- How does adventuring fit into this dream, or does it at all?
- Does the character ever want to have a family of his / her own someday?
- If so, with who or what type of person?
- Has the character ever considered the possibility of his / her own death?
- Has he / she made a will?
- If applicable, what do they think of magical resurrection?
- Look at your PC’s character ability scores – does he/she have any high/low scores?
- Did these scores result from circumstances in his/her early life?
- How did these scores affect the PC’s life?
- How did they affect him/her in their chosen character class?
- Why did the PCs come to choose his/her chosen character class?
- Where is the PC’s home town?
- Look at the PC’s weapon and non-weapon proficiencies – how did they acquire them, especially the unusual ones. For example was fishing just a favorite pastime, or did the PC come from a fishing community?
- What are the likes and dislikes of the PC?
- Does he/she have any rational or irrational fears or phobias?
- What are the origins of or reasons for those fears or phobias? (There does not have to be a reason!)
- What is the PC’s favorite food, style of clothing, of wearing their hair?
- Does the PC have any affinity with an animal of some type?
- Does he/she have any striking features or dominant personality traits (definitely should have at least one if the charisma score is above or below average).
- Does the PC have any strong opinions about the other sex, people’s habits, particular types of races/monsters, or politics?
- Does the PC have any hobbies?
- How did the character become the alignment they have chosen?
- Were the people he/she grew up with of similar alignment?
- How is the PC with regard to material wealth?
- Is the PC a supporter of the current ruler, or is he/she anti-government?
- Is she/he who they claim to be?
- Imagine your character dancing, even unwillingly. What song would he/she be dancing to?
- Alternately, does your your character have a ‘theme song’ or song that makes you think of them?